Tackling loneliness – Wigan Athletic Trust have received some additional funding to expand their current offer to older adults who may be lonely or isolated. If you have someone in mind, you or the actual beneficiary can complete the attached referral form. The project will allow Wigan Athletic to offer more of the following
|Aged 70 and above||Widowed or living alone|
|Living with a disability||Living with one or more lifelong condition|
|Living in a low-income area||Living in a high loneliness area|
- The trust will contact participants daily through the duration of the project. These will be informal conversations to give recipients someone to talk too.
- Introduction of buddy system to keep contact flowing within the community
- Staff have clear guidance on phone call information such as: questions to ask to determine how the participant is, emergency contact numbers, referrals to projects and organisations
- Offer of a garden gate conversation
Virtual coffee mornings via ZOOM
- Weekly zoom coffee mornings which include activities such as bingo, quizzes, guest speakers and local activities to get involved in.
- Referrals from phone calls
Monthly support packages
- 600 goody bags to be distributed, 100 per month
- Will include: Local information such as projects, organisations and advice, physical activity equipment such as resistance bands and stress balls, along with games and quizzes
- These will be distributed on the back of phone calls and garden gate conversations which enables us to continue to work with recipients further
In addition to this we would also like to link up with care homes, sheltered living etc to offer group sessions that are interactive. These could be done online or face to face and could include:
- Physical activity sessions – small group and basic movements to help keep the body active and moving
- Bingo – Can be done online or face to face with Wigan Athletic prizes to be won
- Quizzes – can be done online or face to face with prizes to be won
- Interactive games – such as boccia, dominoes or board games.
- Goody bags could be distributed to all those engaged in the sessions too.
So far our project has;
- Contacted over 350 people over the phone
- Delivered 120 goody bags
- Conducted over 20 garden gate visits.