Anne Marie and John live in a Wigan Council supported accommodation and have been together for eight years.
After realising their dream to get married, staff from across the council and local community groups helped them plan their big day, from getting the groom suited and booted to the wedding cake.
On Thursday the 29th of June, Anne Marie Bloxson, age 53, and John Melling, age 51, tied the knot at Leigh Town Hall and then went on to celebrate with close family and friends at Compassion in Action in Leigh.
Anne Marie, said: “My dreams have come true, it was the best day of my life”.
John, said “It was the best day ever!”.
Councillor Keith Cunliffe, cabinet member for adult social care at Wigan Council, said: “I would like to wish the happy couple all the best in their married life together.
“I’m thrilled that the local community came together to make the special day perfect for Anne Marie and John.”
Lots of organisations came together to make the day special for Anne Marie and John, at little to no cost, including:
- Staff at Compassion in Action who provided the room, buffet and arranged for the room to be dressed.
- Leigh Centurions did the invitations, arranged the hen party for the bride and bridesmaid at the Greyhound hotel, arranged for someone to do the cake, wedding flowers for the bridesmaids, groom and best man.
- Excel in Life hair and Beauty in Leigh did all the pre wedding hair and make up for all the bridesmaids and again on the morning of the wedding.
- Creation wedding dress shop in Wigan gave brand new bride and bridesmaid dresses, veil, two tiaras and did all the necessary alterations.
- The Holiday Inn Hotel at Leigh Sports Village gave the newlyweds a room for the honeymoon with breakfast the next day.
- Staff and children from Milldamn Children’s completed a raffle that contributed to the cost of the wedding.
- Many local businesses donated prizes for the raffle.
Jo Withington, Area Manager of CareTech, provider at Cranleigh Court, said: “As a provider, to be involved in this day was absolutely amazing, there wasn’t a dry eye in the house when both John and Anne Marie got ready the morning of the wedding.
“The staff, managers and all involved from CareTech felt very emotional and very happy for the new Mr and Mrs Melling.
“It was the best day of my career to date and exactly why I choose to work in the industry I do, to see people at the centre of all we do, living fulfilled lives.
“Thank you to staff at Wigan Council for arranging the wedding and the wonderful partners who were involved to make their dream a reality”