The current Free TV Licence scheme stops on the 31st May 2020 and a new scheme will start on 1st June 2020. Read below to find out more about these changes:
Currently, if you or anyone you live with are 75, you can apply for a Free TV Licence. If you already have a Free TV Licence, this will still be valid until 31st May 2020. From 1st June 2020, a new scheme starts.
Under the new scheme, you (or your partner if you are a couple), must be receiving Pension Credit to qualify for a Free TV Licence.
What is Pension Credit?
Pension Credit is a benefit which boosts your weekly income if you are eligible to claim it. There are two parts to Pension Credit:
· Guarantee Credit brings your income up to a minimum amount.
· Savings Credit is a small top up for people who have a modest amount of savings or income. It is only available to people who reached State Pension Age before 6th April 2016.
To be eligible for Guarantee Credit, you (and your partner if you are a couple), must meet certain criteria relating to:
· Income and savings
· Residence in the UK
To apply for Pension Credit you will need to have details of:
· your income (and your partners, if a couple),
· any savings or investments,
· any capital (e.g. any property you own other than the one you live in),
· mortgage, rent or council tax liabilities (so we can check if there’s any other help you can get).
Citizens Advice Wigan Borough and Age UK Wigan Borough are working together to ensure that people in the borough get the help they need.
To find out more about Pension Credit, get help with claiming it, or see if there is any other help available, please contact us on: 01942 709709 or via [email protected] to arrange to speak to one of our advisers.