Status:Open to applications
Grants are available for charities and educational institutions that support those under the age of 18 years, and living with a mental health problem, physical disability or growing up in poverty through the mediums of sport and education.
Fund Value:£ 2,000,000
Funding is at the discretion of the Trustees.
The Foundation aims to distribute a total of around £2 million in grants per year.
The Hargreaves Foundation was set up in 2020 by Peter Hargreaves, co-founder of the financial services firm Hargreaves Lansdown. The Foundation is funded through a transfer of shares held by Peter Hargreaves, totalling around £100 million.
The aim of the Foundation is to support projects that give those under the age of 18, and living with a mental health problem, physical disability, or growing up in poverty, the opportunity to fulfil their potential, improving wellbeing, self-esteem and independence.
Applications can be submitted at any time.
Organisations from across the UK are eligible, but priority will be given to organisations based in and/or working in the South West.
The following organisations can apply:
- Registered Charities or Charitable Incorporated Organisations.
- Schools and Further Education Colleges (usually exempt charities).
- NHS Trusts.
To be eligible for funding organisations must:
- Be low risk with a formal structure.
- Have at least one set of published accounts at the point of applying.
- Have a bank account in the organisation’s name with at least two unconnected signatories.
The Foundation funds activities that achieve one or more of the following objectives:
- Enabling individuals to experience the mental and physical health benefits of participatory sport.
- Ensuring participatory sport is accessible (accessibility includes affordability).
- Providing sporting or educational activities that foster life skills.
- Aiming to improve academic engagement and attainment.
- Encouraging the development of skills and personal attributes to aid future employability.
The majority of those beneﬁting from the project/using the items must be from the Foundation’s target groups, which are those under the age of 18, and living with a mental health problem, physical disability, or growing up in poverty. Those living in poverty are defined as “those eligible for free school meals or college bursary for those aged between 16 and 18 years.” If the activity is a mixed age project, those aged under 18 must be in the majority.
The following types of activities are eligible:
- One-off, time-limited (less than six months) projects or events.
- Training for staff/volunteers.
- Residential activities.
Grants will only be allocated to fund defined projects, initiatives or the purchase of specific items and wherever possible payments will be made directly to suppliers. Contributions to larger projects will be considered but will need clear attribution and the Foundation will not pay the grant until all the other funds needed are secured.
The following are not eligible for funding:
- Social Enterprises.
- Community Interest Companies.
- Private Companies.
- Local Authorities.
- Crisis funding.
- Core funding.
- Items or projects which statutory bodies have a duty to fund.
- Feasibility studies/consultations.
- Retrospective costs.
Guidelines and the online application form can be found on the Hargreaves Foundation’s website.
Some applications for smaller grants of £10,000 or less will be approved after the first Trustee Review.
The Foundation will request further information (eg, on budget, quotations, policies, plans) and conduct site visits or face to face meetings when organisations are applying for larger grants.
Contact the Hargreaves Foundation for further information.
Addresses and contacts
Application forms may be available to download on this site – please see the downloadable files on the right hand panel at the top of this page – or alternatively please check the funding body’s own website.Contact details:Alexandra ButlerThe Hargreaves Foundation
18 Canynge Road
BS8 3JXEmail:[email protected]Contact details:General EnquiriesThe Hargreaves Foundation
18 Canynge Road
BS8 3JXEmail:[email protected]