Aims/priorities: Windrush Day (22 June) was established to celebrate the large contribution of the Windrush Generation to Britain’s cultural, social and economic.
The grant scheme is intended to support celebrations in England that recognise the arrival of MV Empire Windrush at Port Tilbury on 21 July 1948 with 492 Caribbean migrants and the contribution of the migrants who later became known as the Windrush Generation.
The Government is providing this funding with the intention of recognising and promoting understanding of their contribution and to make clear to those of Caribbean descent that Government values their enormous contribution to national life and wishes to recognise that contribution.
Who can apply? Organisations are eligible if they are registered charities (including community interest companies) OR meet all the following criteria:
• Are established for charitable, benevolent or philanthropic purposes
• Have a governing body with at least three members
• Have a governing document which they can produce
• Can provide accounts for the last two financial years
• They are community-based and/or community-led
• They are a local authority Local authority bids are encouraged to collaborate with partner organisations within their area.
Grant amount: Grants of between £2,500 – £25,000 are available. Bidders seeking funding below £2,500 should contact their local authority to request inclusion in a larger bid.
Application process: An application form and guidance notes can be found on the website
Deadline: 8 December 2019
Contact information: Tel: 020 7898 1647 Email: [email protected]
Website address: www.gov.uk/government/publications/2020-windrush-day-grant